Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I’m also an Aunt! - Dinos at the LBV Planetarium


It’s me again! Looks like I’m on a roll here. I’ve been to an arena football game, a concert and now it’s time to spend time with my nephew, Gabriel.

My nephew loves, loves, loves DINOSAURS!! He’s all about wanting to be a paleontologist when he grows up. I’m crossing my fingers and toes that he stays on this track because I don’t think I personally know anyone who ever grew up to be what it is that they wanted to be when they were a child.

I remember I wanted to be a nurse when I was young. Then I realized I was too squeamish to ever be around blood and sick people and the fact that I’m a cryer doesn’t help. I wasn’t born with the instinct to bring on super hero mode whenever I see someone who is hurt. I was born with the crying instinct. I get all teary eyed, worry and panic. I’m assuming those are qualities that don’t make very good nurses. Everyone should be able to breathe a sigh of relief knowing I’m not the person in the ER and instead I’m just the girl in an air-conditioned office behind a desk.

 So really, this is a win-win situation. OK, so where was I???? Oh yeah, DINOSAURS!


Did you know that Texas A&M International University has a planetarium on campus? Yup, it’s the Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium. My nephew calls it the “cemetarium.” When I heard that Paleo Paul was coming to town with some replica fossils, and educational presentation and there was going to be a screening of Jurassic Park this was a no brainer. I had to take the kid.


  Photo courtesy of TAMIU

I graduated from TAMIU back in 2002. Go Dustdevils! I try to make it back to the campus whenever I get a chance. I remember when I was attending, the campus was fairly new and now the place is absolutely amazing and still growing! If you’ve got a chance, stop by, take a stroll or take a virtual tour online. I can’t say enough of my Alma Mater and maybe one day if my nephew decides to begin his studies here in Laredo, he’ll attend TAMIU just like his Aunt. Paleo Paul brought some pretty neat replicas with him and even I learned a couple things from his presentation. I even noticed how some parents were more eager to partake in the question and answer session than the kids were.


After we were done with the presentation it was time to see the movie. My nephew and I were on total opposite pages. He was all about the exhibit and I was all about the movie. I had never ever seen Jurassic Park and seeing it inside the planetarium I was totally stoked. Unfortunately, the kid was over it. Half way thru the movie, he whispers to me and says “I want to go rest at home.” What 4-year old says that?


The Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium has different shows just about every weekend. You can go on a journey to the center of the Earth, deep sea dive through the ocean or catch a Pink Floyd laser show. It’s awesome! You can even book class field trips and private parties. Here’s their number 956-326-3663. I’m still not sure what I’ll be doing this coming week. Where do you like to go when you’re in Laredo? Thanks again for stopping by and reading about my adventures. And don’t forget, call me, tweet me, Facebook us, send smoke signals, whatever the case may be, don’t hesitate to contact my office if you need any help with an itinerary or hotel arrangements for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment