Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Books, books & books

Hi, my name is Aileen and I am the resident book worm at the CVB, I love reading!
For some years now I’ve been on a quest to read 12 books in 12 months, so far the closest I’ve been was in 2010 with 11, but I don’t lose my faith ;)



Now, if you are an avid reader like me, you know that reading is a lot of fun, but you have even more fun when you are able to comment about it with someone, it’s like the “guys” talking about last night’s game; so given that I moved to Laredo a couple of years ago and most of my friends & family are back in my hometown I was looking for a group of people that shared my interest, I was looking for a book club!
And one day checking the Laredo Public Library website I found out they have, not one but two that meet once a month! (www.laredolibrary.org)




So for May I went on and picked the Gateway City Book Lover’s Club book, The Coldest Night by Robert Olmstead.  They were very helpful at the Library, almost every copy was checked out but they found one for me, then, book in hand I left the building confident I was going to finish reading on time!



I almost didn’t make it! You may ask yourselves, why?! If she had a whole month! Well let me share a little secret with y’all... I’m a bookaholic! I have to be careful not to walk too close to a bookstore or any other store where you can find this particular item because I know I will find one to buy and take home; which means: I attempt to read several books at a time or I pick the one I like the most, continue reading and forget about the others in line.

But going back to the book club… It usually takes place at the Library on the corner of Calton Rd. and McPhearson Ave. but every once in a while they move it to a different location (be sure to check the website before you go). In May they had it at Scholar’s Caffe Barista (1701 Peaceful Meadows Court) that by the way has an excellent hot chocolate and a delicious selection of bagels.
So armed with my book and a bagel I went in to the little library in the back of the coffee shop; Ms. Pam Burrell (the mind behind the book club) was there and a few other ladies, they were discussing the “Mystery” book and even though I didn’t read that one, the conversation was really interesting!


A couple of more people came in as we started discussing the second book, different people and backgrounds made for a really interesting conversation; Ms. Burrell guided the conversation with a few questions and allowed each participant to voice our opinion regarding the book and the author.
I had a great time!


The “Scene of the Crime: Mystery Book Club” meets first from 6 to 7, and then comes the Gateway City Book Lover’s Club from 7 to 8, you can choose one or both. The interesting thing about book clubs is that you get to read books you would never pick by yourself, Ms. Pam Burrell does a great job choosing the books (members of the club can also give suggestions).

Next session will take place at the Library (1120 E. Calton Rd.)on June 20, 2012

For more information contact:
Pam Burrell at 956.795.2400 ext. 2268


Join us on our next adventure...
See you in Laredo!
For more information call us at:
800-361-3360 or visit our website http://www.visitlaredo.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment