Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Talk about organic!

This week we present a special guest blogger: CVB intern Juan Flores. He will offer a fresh (no pun intended) perspective on Laredo Main Street’s Farmers Market.

Every 3rd
Saturday of the month, Laredo’s downtown hosts the Laredo’s Farmer’s Market. It is quite an exhilarating experience, as a matter of fact, very friendly too. This past weekend was my very first time attending, but I have to say, I regret notgoing the previous months.

Upon arrival, you get this sensation of clean air like never before, or at least that’s the way I felt. I expected to come out of there with nothing in my hands, other than some concessions, but I ended up leaving with a couple of plants and a lavender drinking mix, all for only $14 from what I recall.

Now, you may think that all you’re going to find at a farmer’s market is just some fruits or vegetables, which still sounds pleasant to me, but actually, there is a great variety of produce. Anything from homemade medicines to young trees is what you’ll find. One thing that is true, though, is that you’ll never get tired of looking around.
Aside from all the organics and stuff, there was also live music and an entertainer. I didn’t quite hear his name, but apparently he was a world champion free stylist in trompos (tops). His performance made everyone double-glance. He would actually “defy physics” with several tricks he showed! He had an impressive talent…reminded me of when I was a kid.
So if one day you wake up early and it’s a Saturday, take a look at your calendar. If you got nothing to do and it’s the 3rd Saturday of that month, then head on over to Jarvis Plaza in historic downtown Laredo for a worthy event.


The Laredo Farmer’s Market is held every third Saturday of the month, all year long. See http://www.laredomainstreet.org/ for details.

1 comment:

  1. We missed it this month, but look forward to next month!

    ReplyDelete