Friday, August 3, 2012

Meet Brenda!




Today's Blog features Brenda, Project Coordinator extraordinaire!

Hola!!

Here’s a little 4-1-1 on my background here at the Laredo Convention and Visitors Bureau, as well as my transition from the Sun City to the Gateway City! In May of 2010, I packed my bags and just about every single item in my room as I left my morning reporter position in El Paso and took an anchor/reporter position at KGNS-TV in Laredo. Many people asked why I went from market 91 to a 150+ market (tv-wise). To date, some still question my decision but that answer was simple; I never saw it as taking a step back instead a leap forward in order to expedite my career goals.



While at Pro 8 News I had the opportunity to hone my anchoring skills and was given the ability to craft my own segments which was tons of fun! Aside from covering daily news, while anchoring both Pro 8 News Today and the CW I had the chance to be even more interactive with the daily guests we had on our show. I had the opportunity to launch my ‘Faces of Courage’ segment where we recognized the men and women in our community, interview and meet artists, pro wrestlers, beauty queens and the list goes on! I was also given the “difficult task” of checking out some of the best restaurants and latest fashion trends for the season.



Moving forward two years, I decided to take yet another leap of faith. Ever since I was a child I have always been self motivated and kept my eyes open for any door of opportunity. One of my main career goals had always been to anchor a morning show, which I fulfilled during my time at Pro 8 News and my other goal was to set my microphone aside and step in to the PR field. So in case you’re wondering, yep, that’s what drove me to the Laredo Convention and Visitors Bureau! It’s been an awesome experience to date!! My role here is to serve as an ambassador for Laredo while also planning and coordinating a number of different events throughout the year.


Soon after I settled in to my office in late May, my boss approached me with my first assignment. Keep in mind it was my first time organizing an event that didn’t involve tons of family and friends but some of the top key players both on a national and local level, to include the U.S. Department Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Michael Camuñez and his delegation. My task was to format a guest list for three events, invitations, select menu items/venue locations, gifts and assist in a border facilities tour. From start to finish, I was elated with my first assignment. We were in charge of coordinating an awards reception, breakfast and a roundtable luncheon. I must admit it went quite smoothly despite the many changes Mother Nature forced us to make one hour prior to the welcome reception! As in the news biz, you must always be prepared for any and all curve balls and be quick on your feet. Things most definitely change from one minute to the next! So that’s my work in a nut shell… well kinda. Yikes, our social media guru only asked for a few sentences and here I am three paragraphs later.. woops! Anyhow, if I can help you in any way plan your next conference, group event or etc. here in Laredo please don’t hesitate to contact me. Talk to you soon!!!

SEE YOU IN LAREDO!

For more information on meetings and eventscall us at: 800-361-3360 or visit our website www.visitlaredo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment